For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, June 20, 2012

white



I made a short video for class today showing and discussing progress on my wrapping cloth. I thought you may enjoy something similar so here is the edited version...

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Lovely video of your new cloth Karen and you've given me a few more ideas. I thought I'd finished my two whitework blocks...but no I'm a little short on both blocks, in length and width, so I'm on with making 2 long pockets. Hope to post up some pictures shortly :)
Barbara
x

deanna7trees said...

lovely. i love dangly things and ribbons. nice touch and unexpected.

Jane said...

The ribbons add that extra interest something to fiddle with. I really like the area to the left in the first photo

Tina said...

Very nice-I sure enjoy the videos!

Rachel said...

The more I see of your work, and your re-use of older pieces, the more I think I want to have a go at insertion work.

Something else for the project list!