For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, June 5, 2016

bubble cloth






OK....so no cross stitch, French knots won the day. (I'm talking about what I said yesterday) Disregard the fact that I used the wrong colours ( I was supposed to use the same colours that are in the white cotton piece with the lettering) Yes, disregard that fact and also disregard that these look more like raspberries than roses and it's a winner. It's a winner in my eyes anyway because even though I can't use it with the lettering piece it is still a rather nice piece of cloth which will be useful for something.....just don't ask me what yet.
There is lace cloth here too, made some time ago and created using the correct colours. The lace cloth makes a beautiful overlay but I'm not after an overlay, I'm after a side attached companion. Never mind, I will make more white ''lace'' like cloth which actually looks like bubbles to me (hence the title of today's post)....I will then endeavour to choose the correct colours for the roses. Note to self......choose your colours before it goes dark Karen.
- See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.bioZNPZG.dpuf

1 comment:

Stitching Lady said...

Oh, a unique cloth, really. I love also the reverse side of it!