For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, October 26, 2011

slow progress.....





I am making progress of the slow kind on toe wrap two. It's not a problem, it's quite relaxing. I am adding tiny webs and French knots to the patterned fabric in order to complete the final part of that section. Later today I am hoping to get the next piece pinned together. 
I am slightly overwhelmed with mail at the moment and sadly there is no way I can possibly respond to the 83!!!! comments over here. I am truly sorry and I like to think I am quite polite and well mannered but there aren't enough hours in the day...I will do my best to keep up a little better but yet again I am begging forgiveness.....with a humble expression on my face...honest...
Now for my news, take a look at this.....she means me!!! There will be more information up soon and I will send you back there then but you will at least know a little more if you hop on over there. 
Tomorrows news will include an update from Karen's Global Embroidery School, for now though I have apples to count.

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Slowly but surely you are growing back to your old profession, being a teacher!

Love the sweet faces fabric you used.

Tatkis said...

You are working with a beautiful fabric! And congratulations with your future classes!

Hugs,
Tatyana

Tina said...

This fabric is beautiful-I love the bunnies-

GREAT news on your class-and I can hardly wait to hear about the updates from Karen's global embroidery.

deanna7trees said...

love your placement of the web stitches and french knots on this printed cloth.
interesting way of offering an online learning experience with videos from a variety of teachers. look forward to reading more about it.

Mosaic Magpie said...

What a wonderful compliment to know that 83 people are wanting your lovely work. Love the bright spots in the latest toe wrap.
Deb

Hoola Tallulah said...

The online video workshop looks marvellous, I may have to add it to my xmas list!
Your work is always so inspiring, I have tried those lil webs and they are never as neat and beautiful as yours!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh boy - I suppose I'm going to have to hope to win the lottery so I can take all the classes I have on my list! Congratulations - you must be so excited...good for you Karen.

Bree at "Bree's Way" said...

87 is a lot of comments, lol, you will get through them in good time, haha, no worries :) and grats on the class :) Love the new project, can't wait to see how it works out :)

Anonymous said...

That's a charming print, and I love your little embellishments to it!